Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tymese

Tymese is probably my most favorite student ever (so far at least). She was a short black girl and wore her hair in a poof, if you will, on top of her head every single day. I knew I was in good the day she stayed late after school to give me a lesson in rap. Her fave rapper is Gucci, and her fave song by him is Lemonade. I also knew I was in good when she started playing with my hair. I always have black girls that are fascinated by my white girl hair, and since I love the feeling of someone playing with my hair, anyone that wants to gets a bump up on my cool list. Tymese played with my hair all the time, but every now and then she would get the idea in her head to twist my hair. She would take varying sized chunks of my hair and twist them as tight as possible, twisting is next in line to braiding in terms of popularity with black girls' hairstyles. Twisting hurt like hell. I don’t know how black girls do it. Some of my students talked about how they would be at the salon for 4 or 5 hours getting their hair braided or twisted… I would need some serious xanax to sit through that. Every time I winced in pain Tymese would laugh and say “all white girls are sooo tender headed, for real.”

No comments:

Post a Comment