Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cougar Town



My new obsession: Cougar Town

I was reluctant to give Cougar Town a try... I feel like the Friends cast has had a Seinfeld-like curse since the show ended... meaning that this would be just as terrible as Dirt (Courtney Cox's previously failed attempt at a sitcom) and Joey (Matt LeBlanc's tragic attempt at a spin-off). David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry, and Lisa Kudrow have wisely kept their distance from sitcoms and have for the most part been careful in their selection of film roles. Notice I left out Jennifer Aniston, she's done quite a few films since Friends, 3/4s of which I would say have been disappointing. I am not referrring to Friends with Money, He's Just Not That Into You, Along Came Polly, The Break-Up, or Marley & Me when I say disappointing. I'm referring more to Derailed, Rumor Has It..., and The Bounty Hunter. Back to the subject of Cougar Town... In all honesty I didn't watch it til last week and even then I only watched it because I couldn't find anything else on OnDemand. Having said all that, I loved it. Courtney Cox has managed to pull a Julia Louis-Dreyfus (New Adventures of Old Christine) and made a brilliant comeback. Cougar Town is hilarious, I'm counting down to Sept. 22 when the new season starts. I have several favorite new catch phrases, courtesy of Busy Phillips' character Laurie, and will be devoting a post to them soon. They may not be of "ring ring hooker" status (my most fave catch phrase courtesy of Lafayette on True Blood), but they're noteworthy all the same. If you're going to give Cougar Town a try, I would suggest watching "Finding Out," it's def one of the funnier episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment